Warmer temperatures and longer days means plenty of extra time outside for your pet this spring. But what you might not know is a lot of spring flowers can be very poisonous to dogs and cats. Keep your pets safe this spring by keeping an eye out for these home grown dangers!
Keep Your Pet Safe From Poisonous Flowers
Bulbs: Spring bulbs can be very toxic to animals. Crocuses, Daffodils, Lily, and tulips contain a very potent poison for animals. It only takes as little as 15grams of this poison to kill a full grown dog, so it’s very important to keep it out of reach of your pooch. If you have some in your garden make sure you pay close attention to your pet while they are outside and stop them from digging immediately. It only takes a few minutes for your pet to make a very fatal mistake.
Flowers: There are many types of spring flowers that are poisonous to animals. Daffodils aren’t fatal but have leaves and flowers that can make them very ill needing veterinary attention. Tulips, snowdrops, lily of the valley, and aconite are poisonous and if ingested can be fatal.
If you suspect that your dog has eaten something poisonous here are some symptoms to look for:
- If you dog is salivating more than normal
- If your pet experiencing sickness/ diarrhea
- If you find your pet to be unsteady, staggering, or lacking normal coordination
- If your pet collapses or you find them unconscious
Poisoning requires immediate vet attention, when you get to the vet they will try to make your dog sick. If you think your pet has ingested something serious it’s important to get them treatment immediately, the faster your response is the higher chance your pet has to make a full recovery.
When you call your vet it’s important to give them as much information as possible. If you aren’t able to identify the name of the plant you saw your pet eating, take a sample of it to the office with you. That way the vet can be fully prepared for what action they should take.
Spring is a great season to let your dog exercise and play as much as they wish. But, it’s important to keep an eye on them as much as possible. The best way to ensure the safety of your pet is to prevent something terrible from happening.